Drop Shape Analyzer – DSA30
Contact angle measurement in quality control
Our Drop Shape Analyzer – DSA30 is a robust instrument which can be used flexibly for the precise measurement of contact angle and surface free energy. With high-quality components and various automation options, the DSA30 analyses wetting and adhesion on solid surfaces. Fast measurements and simple operation make the instrument a valuable part of your routine quality control.
Solutions for reliable surface investigations
We have equipped the DSA30 with a uniform LED lighting unit, high-quality optical components and a high-resolution camera. This results in a precise image of the dispensed drop which ensures that the drop shape can be reliably evaluated for the contact angle. An aperture on the lighting unit provides optimum optical conditions for small contact angles and reflective samples, which otherwise often present a challenge when measuring the contact angle.
Our finely adjustable sample table moves the sample quickly and reproducibly to the measuring positions with up to three manual or automatic axes. Dosing units for up to four liquids enable the surface free energy of solid samples to be measured with high accuracy.
We have provided automation options for the DSA30 to ensure smooth standardization of quality assurance. Thanks to specially matched measurement templates, similar samples are always analyzed using exactly the same procedure. This also means minimal preparation time and rapid sample changing as well as highly reproducible measurements.
Further modules for the DSA30 enable process conditions to be simulated and therefore surface procedures to be optimized based on process-related raw data. For example, contact angle measurements can be carried out at accurately controlled temperatures between -30 and 400 °C or at exactly set humidities.
Analysis of solids and liquids
As well as measuring the contact angle, our DSA30 can also measure the surface tension of liquids using the Pendant Drop method. The measurements provide scientific knowledge relating to the relationship between the wetting of the solid and the liquid properties. This interfacial contact measuring method can be used, for example, to measure and optimize the adhesion and long-term stability of coatings.
Tasks and applications
- Characterization of surface pre-treatment processes
- Investigation of the adhesion and stability of bonding and coating processes
- Checking the wettability of plastic, glass, ceramic, wood or metal
- Checking surface cleanliness
Measuring methods and options
- Contact angle between a liquid and a solid
- Surface free energy from contact angles of several test liquids using all common models
- Static contact angle, advancing angle and receding angle
- Measurement of surface tension and liquid-liquid interfacial tension using the Pendant Drop method
- Measurements on inclined surfaces
- Temperature-controlled measurements from -30 to 400 °C
- Measurements at controlled humidity
This list includes a selection of components which are not part of the standard scope of supply in one of the DSA30 versions listed on the right.
- Tempering chamber for large samples from -10 to 120 °C
- Tempering chamber for rapid temperature changes from -30 to 160 °C
- Tempering chamber for high temperatures up to 400 °C
- Module for controlling humidity
- Tilting tables
- Special sample holders, for example for cylindrical samples, films, contact lenses or powders
- Dosing accessory for measurements or measurement of the liquid-liquid interfacial tension
|Measuring range |
(referred to image analysis)
0.01 to 1000 mN/m
|Dimensions||610 × 240 × 610 mm (W × D × H)|
|Weight||approx. 25 kg|
Request more information
Find your application
- Adhesion & Coating
- Foam behavior
- Food & Beverages
- Medical & Pharma
- Spraying & Printing
- Surface rheology
- Surface treatment
- Fibers, Hair & Textiles
- Glass & Ceramics
- Human & Biological
- Oil & Gas
- Paper, Pulp & Wood
- Powders & Pigments