Force Tensiometer – K20
The flexible tensiometer for basic quality assurance
Our Force Tensiometer – K20 is a robust, semi-automatic instrument for the precise measurement of surface tension and interfacial tension. Using the ring and plate method as the main tensiometric methods, it produces reliable measurements for the routine quality assurance of your surfactant solutions and interfacial processes.
Our K20 measures surface tension and interfacial tension based on the wetting force acting on a measuring probe. The instrument's precision force sensor and the measuring probes in the form of meticulously produced rings and plates ensure accurate and reproducible results. The density of liquids can also be measured very easily and precisely. The option of long-life battery operation, the integrated memory and the low weight of the instrument also enable our K20 to be used flexibly on site.
Simple, semi-automatic measurement
The simple manual operation of the sample stage and the large, illuminated sample chamber enable the sample to be quickly set up and positioned. When one of the pre-prepared measuring programs is started, the motorized sample stage moves to enable the measurement to be carried out conveniently and accurately. The speed and other measurement parameters can be adapted flexibly to suit. This enables the measuring sequence to be easily optimized for the upper or lower measuring range of surface and interfacial tension. The accuracy of the measurement is enhanced by the magnetically locking windshield which prevents the troublesome effect of air currents.
Equipment for flexible measuring conditions
The optional thermostat jacket for our K20 enables process conditions for temperatures between ‑10 and 100 °C to be simulated exactly. For example, this enables the addition of surfactant to be optimized for a particular technical process. With dispersions, an integral magnetic stirrer ensures that the sample is uniformly mixed before the measurement is carried out.
The measuring results, together with all important parameters and flexibly editable information relating to the measurement, can be transferred to our proven tensiometer software LabDesk. Alternatively, the report containing the results can be output to a printer at the press of a button.
Tasks and applications
- Determination of the effectiveness of wetting media
- Checking the surfactant content in solutions below the critical micelle concentration (CMC)
- Tank clearance and cleaning validation in the foodstuffs industry
- Measurement of interfacial tension for the quality assurance and optimization of emulsifiers
- Decomposition product content in oils according to ASTM D‑971.
Measuring methods and options
- Surface tension using the ring and plate method
- Interfacial tension using the ring and plate method
- Surface tension and interfacial tension using the ring tear-off method
- Testing of transformer oils in accordance with ASTM D‑971
- Measuring the density of liquids
- Measurement from ‑10 to 90 °C, temperature measurement with internal sensor